High-tech additives for the road Industry
Iterchimica S.r.l. is an Italian firm founded in 1967 by Gabriele Giannattasio and which now operates in over 90 countries providing additives for asphalt. The company produces and distributes products that enhance both asphalt performance and the laying of road surfaces in order to increase safety, environmental sustainability, and efficiency.
Iterchimica collaborates with contracting authorities, construction companies, general contractors, and design studios in roadway planning, construction, and maintenance and in the provision of products and technical support. Iterchimica labs have been certified by the Italian Ministry of Education and Research, and the company maintains ongoing partnerships with the leading Italian and international universities with specializations in paving and chemical research.
The company is certified UNI EN ISO 9001:2015 for Quality Management System and UNI EN ISO 14001:2015 for Environmental Management System.
NEW TECHNOLOGIES TO GIVE BETTER ROADS TO THE COMMUNITY
Although it may not be apparent to the untrained eye, different types of asphalt and pavement in general can have very different characteristics and levels of performance. Iterchimica S.r.l., however, is one of the world’s most experienced, most capable companies in this field and is able to offer a wide range of solutions to every need. With the help of Iterchimica’s asphalt additives, it is now possible to achieve optimal performance levels based on the characteristics of the bitumen and aggregates used and depending on the conditions under which the pavement is to be used.
These additives can be divided into a number of categories, the most important of which are as follows:
Cellulose Fibers :these are used as stabilizers and/or thickeners in improved paving in which high levels of bitumen are required. They can be natural, mineral, or synthetic and are provided with the appropriate dosing equipment. They strengthen and thicken the bitumen and are used to produce permeable asphalt and/or for roads with heavy traffic and for heavy trucks, as well as for airport runways.
Anti-stripping agents:these are complex chemicals that ensure an ideal bond between bitumen and aggregate. They combat the stripping action of water and increase bitumen’s resistance to water and to cyclical and mechanical stresses. They increase the durability and resistance of the asphalt and extend the amount of time that can pass between the production and laying of the asphalt, thereby facilitating the rolling process.
Gipave, graphene-enhanced polymeric supermodifier:the latest innovation developed in Iterchimica’s laboratories is a polymeric compound that contains graphene and a specific type of selected hard plastic, which would not normally be recycled, usually ending up in a waste-toenergy plant. The new technology allows to enhance the performances of asphalt pavements, making them more resistant to fatigue and thermal excursions. The result is an asphalt pavement that lasts more than twice as long.
Rejuvenators:these complex chemicals make it possible to reclaim and reuse old asphalt. Rejuvenators alter the chemical and physical structure of the old asphalt and reduce the rigidity of the new pavement produced with this milled asphalt. They also improve the bond between bitumen and aggregate, enhance water resistance, and make it easier to work with the reclaimed asphalt.
Polymers:these improve the mechanical properties and performance of the asphalt and significantly reduce surface deformations under high temperatures, thereby increasing the life of the road surface.
Flux oils:these additives lower the viscosity of bitumen to extend the amount of time that can be taken when laying the pavement.
Registrations and collaborations
- Siteb (founding partner)
- Fondazione per lo Sviluppo Sostenibile
- PIARC (World Road Association)
- EAPA (European Asphalt Association)
- IBEF (International Bitumen Emulsion Federation)
- HAPA (Hungarian Asphalt Association)
- Quality Management System Certificate UNI EN ISO 9001:2015
- Environmental Management System Certicate UNI EN ISO 14001:2015
- Ministry of Education, of University and Research (MIUR)
Collaborations with national and international Universities
- Politecnico di Milano
- Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
- Università degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza”
- Università degli Studi di Palermo
- Università degli Studi di Parma
- Università degli Studi di Padova
- Università di Bologna “Alma Mater Studiorum”
- Università degli Studi di Cagliari
- Università degli Studi di Napoli “Federico II”
- Università Politecnica delle Marche
- Politecnico di Torino
- Università degli Studi di Bergamo
- Università della Calabria
- Universidad Politécnica De Madrid (Spain)
- University of Cantabria (Spain)
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT – Australia)
- University of Massachusetts Boston (USA)
- École de technologie supérieure (Canada)
- Università di Belgrado (Serbia)
- TU Braunschweig (Germany)
- Ruhr-Universität Bochum (Germany)
- Technische Universität Dresden (Germany)
- Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic)
- Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi (Turkey)
- Karadeniz Teknik Üniversitesi (Turkey)
- Karabuk Üniversitesi (Turkey)
- Bern University of Applied Sciences (Switzerland)
- Gdansk University of Technology (Poland)